Chances are, your Salem concrete contractor can save you money on energy bills.
With an increasingly eco-conscious public, we often get asked if concrete driveways in Salem are an eco-friendly option. This might come as a surprise to some, but due to something called the Albedo Effect, concrete can actually contribute to protecting the environment by lowering your home or commercial building’s carbon footprint (and energy bill)! Here is a quick definition of what Albedo is:
Albedo is the percentage of incoming light and radiation from the sun that is reflected from a surface. It is measured from 0 (all light absorbed by the surface) to 1 (all light reflected from the surface).
Asphalt driveways range from 0.05 to 0.15. Highly reflective white concrete can reach up to 16x the Albedo score of asphalt! The range for white concrete is from 0.40 to 0.80 and can vary with weathering, stamping, and staining, of course. Here are some of the benefits of using a highly reflective white concrete for your driveway versus asphalt:
- You can help save up to 1 tonne per year of CO2 per 25 square meters of concrete rather than asphalt and help battle climate change.
- Your cooling bills can come down as more light is reflected to your home.
- Your energy bills can decrease due to less need for external lighting with higher reflective properties (see pictures here).
- You can help fight the “heat island effect”.
- You can help improve air quality by reducing emissions.
There are a multitude of both communal benefits and personal benefits to having a highly reflective white concrete driveway poured for your home or business. If you would like more information on the Albedo Effect or how concrete contractors in Salem, Oregon can help with your unique project, give us a call today for a free estimate at (503) 364-3239 or use our estimate form to the right hand side of this page.